Friday, October 3, 2008

Bus / Shelter - landmark project












Mockery

When looking closely at Weatherspoon Art Museum I noticed that the entire building is made of nothing but horizontal and vertical lines. Ranging from the mortar lines in the brick walls, to the vertical columns located at the corner of Tate and Spring Garden, to the fence running along side the sculpture garden. Inspired by the simplicity of these two elements, I derived my idea.
Not wanting to contrast with the existing environment in which my bus shelter is to be placed, I choose to compliment it by using the same design elements displayed in the Weatherspoon Art Museum. The basics of my bus shelter consist of four verticals lines and two horizontal lines. The four vertical lines are made up of a simplified, elongated version of the existing columns located at the museum. To add interest to the structure the column heights vary. The two horizontal lines are made up of the roof structure and the seating. Coinciding with the mortar lines and the fencing the roof structure is a solid slab of horizontal wood. To answer functional needs, benches have been incorporated with the options of group seating, private seating or even the option of standing along the outskirts.
Inspired by elements displayed in the Weatherspoon Art Museum, I derived an idea of a coherent shelter by using simple lines to create a functional structure for the people of the Greensboro community.

1 comment:

katie reynolds said...

I just wanted to say that I love the way that you did your deliverable sheets, making them look like you card. Great idea.